Saturday, April 3, 2010

On Tipping

IMG_2791I've long been frustrated by the idea of tipping.  Why should the compensation of waiters, bellhops and others in the service industry be dependent on the goodwill (or not) of their customers?  If a waiter provides great service in the hope of getting a good tip, but the customer is in a bad mood, or cheap, or mean, that good service goes unrecognized, and the server is basically screwed.  Tipping allows restaurants to pay their employees a pittance, and saddles the employees with the risk of not getting paid.  Maintaining good service should be the responsibility of management.  If I get bad service, I won't come back to the restaurant.  If I get good service, and good food, I will.  Ensuring that these happen is management's responsibility.

So it was with great joy that I discovered in Italy that there is no tipping.  The price on the menu is the price you pay.  Tax and tip included.  How simple.  Of course, it took me a few days to figure this out, and I was happily leaving little tips (I knew tipping was "less" in Europe).  Until we shared a meal with some Norwegians and Dutch, who clearly left no tip. 

I continued this behavior through Budapest and Austria.  Getting to Germany, I found that there's generally no tipping, except for extraordinary service.  And then, it's only a euro or two.  And the way you tip is odd.  The waiter brings over the bill, and stands there waiting to be paid.  Let's say the bill is 48 euros.  You would tell them, to their face to make it 50.  Or 52.  Or whatever. Or simply round up to the nearest euro or 5 euros.   And they'd make the change accordingly.  I figured this out on the last day after being tutored by our accidental dinner companions from Berlin.  Their attitude was you could tip "a little" for very good service, but that if you weren't planning to go back, then you didn't need to tip at all.  That seemed a little unfair, so we left a little.

Paris seemed to be a mix.  Tax was always included, and sometimes a "service charge" of 10-15 percent was also included (but included in the menu price, and simply called out specifically on the bill).  Why you would have a separate "service charge" at a restaurant, where having a waiter serve you is clearly part of the experience is another annoyance.  Extra good service warranted a little more.  If service was not included, I guess you're supposed to tip about 10 percent, but we didn't run into that situation.

Given the differences from place to place in Europe, I would think the waiters in Paris get forgotten a lot.  I'd argue for consistency, and that consistency would be -- the price on the menu is what you pay.  Let the restaurant owner pay his staff the right amount to keep them happy, and let them manage their employees so that they provide excellent service.

I'm going to have a hard time coming back to the States where 15-20 percent is expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment